Apply to be a JSJ Intern
An internship per campus will be funded by CTN through the generous donations of individuals who want to support the professional development of our students. Students selected will have an orientation prior to starting their work as well as access to CTN intern journalism handbook.
The news reporter works under the supervision of the news editor (Debra McBeath) and publisher (Dr. Maria Martha Chavez). The reporter covers a campus news "beat" ( CTN-- students, staff, and events) and produces content for publication on Facebook and the digital Catch the Next newsletter, with other possible media outlets, including broadcast.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Must be able /willing to attend CTN events
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Responsible in meeting deadlines (the 28th of each month, unless otherwise approved)
- Able to conduct interviews
- Understand and be able to use the technology necessary for the newsletter (Word) and Facebook
- Follow and record all CTN-related news on campus
- Gather information about newsworthy events and/or people
- Write news stories and features for publication in the appropriate format
- Contact and interview sources
- Verify factual information through interviews, observations and research
- Attend events related to the CTN Program
- Keep and organize notes, recordings and files
- Take and/or obtain photos to accompany stories (and accurately identify people/places in the photos)
- Keep contact lists, social media accounts and other data for continuing converage
- Update college Facebook pages with current information, photos and news
Each student will receive a $50.00 stipend for their work per month, for a total of $400.00 for the academic year.
All applications will be reviewed and students will be selected throughout the year on an ongoing basis; if you are chosen, you will receive a handbook and welcome letter confirming your appointment.
We look forward to working with you!